Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature Scripts, Versions and Branches - how to manage versions

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
First of all a disclaimer.  I'm a hobbyist engineer by night and a software developer by day (sadly these days in management, but the mindset stays).  So on the basis of 'if the only tool you have is a hammer..', I've probably approached my onshape use in an odd way.

I'm designing a steam engine which is in this document.  Because I don't really know what I'm doing, I wanted to make the design highly parameterised so that when I discovered I'd make serious errors, I could just change some driving parameters and correct it.  As a secondary target, I wanted to be able to scale the engine if this (relatively) small one worked.

The way I've done this is to create a feature script with all my basic parameters and the derived values and imported this into each of my part studios.  The pain is that every time I make a change to a parameter, I have to publish a version and update all the part studios (and drawings).  That's something I've asked about elsewhere.

I've got to the point where I had enough done to ask an expert to comment.  And they have,  Needless to say there are changes which need to be made, though most of them can be done through my feature script template.

What I want to do is take a checkpoint of the design at this point.  I don't suppose I will want to go back to it, but I may.  

I've created the branch and now think I have to go into all my part studies and select that branch.  which is a bit of a pain.  And will need to go back to each one if I want to revert to the original branch (or another one).

What's the right way to do this?

Iain
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @iain_downs
    You should just be able to use the feature in the same documet by using the icon at the end of the toolbar
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @iain_downs
    You are right, change of reference from a workspace to a version has to be done from each part studio. Onshape does not have a mechanism for pushing the reference update.