Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't reference the edge of curved surfaced (e.g. cylinder) for constraints or dimensioning

jacob_sheffieldjacob_sheffield Member Posts: 9 EDU
I am trying to use the edge of a cylinder as a reference for a different sketch, but can't reference it in anyway. Instead I have to dimension back to the center axis. Other software seems to allow you to reference the profile of curved surfaces for constraints or dimensioning to other sketches. Is there a way to do this? I work with curved surfaces often and this causes an annoyance always having to dimension back to center axis.

For example, in this image below, you can't use a coincident constraint to align it with the edge of this extruded cylinder. If it were any other shape or edge it would allow it. Instead, the only work around is to dimension it back to the center axis and use the same radius of the cylinder.  

Answers