Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Multy body , Parametric design and revision control

guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
As most of us I think , I use onshape as a multy body design approach. so I design my product which is made from many parts in the design studio. surly I use parametric design so when a change is being made it may affect many bodies.
So imagine I have made a design of a product. all good saved the last revision and manufactured. 2 years later (or 2 days in my case) I forget all about this project and how it was build. Now if I need to make some change in one part I don't know if this change has affected other bodies or not. I know I can see that changes done between 2 revisions but this list may be long and not always clear , But I am looking for an automatic tool that can tell me for sure if the geometry of a body was changed between 2 saved revisions. that what once a modification is complete I know for sure which parts need to get a new revision and to be released,
Does OS have a tool like that ?
I know I can make an assembly with the old and new body and start looking for changes....but I am looking for an automatic tool 
Does this question make any sense ?

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Makes perfect sense. There is a built in compare facility that will show you both graphically and via the feature list what is different between two versions.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    thanks owen_sparks
    I will defenetly check that
    Guy
  • Options
    thanks owe
    So i had a look at the compare tool. 
    Yes its a good tool to uderstand changes.
    But i am looking for something more quick basic.
    I would love to have a quick table showing me which bodies are the same and which bodies changed geometry between 2 versions. 
    I think having this information quick and easy is priceless
    Guy
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @guy_rogel
    Please create an Improvement Request for this functionality. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'll vote!

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd