Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Import catia parts retaining position relative to previously imported assembly

Hi,
I am in the process of migrating our Catia model into onshape. I will handle the release process in onshape, but will have to modify and re-import some existing parts in Catia along the way.
  • I imported a Catia assembly file containing all parts in the correct orientation
  • Now I have to change a few parts in catia and re-import only these few parts into onshape. I have to retain their position relative to the originally imported assembly. 
  • For that, I can partially export the catia top level assembly and re-import into onshape. Now, I am adding the assembly containing my few updated parts to the onshape top level assembly
  • The problem: I need to move the parts out of the re-imported assembly into my onshape top-level retaining their position
Dragging parts in the tree does not work. I get the error: "Operation cannot be completed as it would modify a saved version"

Any thoughts on doing this in a different way or fixing my workflow?

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @Benjamin_Dellal your last point is a little confusing, maybe a screenshot of the assembly list will be helpful or sharing a link?

If you import the sub-assembly from catia into Onshape as 'flattened' you will still maintain the parts relative positioning but not create a subassembly (all parts get placed into a part studio). This will allow you to select the parts needed to insert into the top level assembly (or appropriate subassembly) without having a random subassembly to deal with from the import action.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln