Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Split a part

matt_saegermatt_saeger Member Posts: 4
This is probably simple but I can not figure out how to do it. I am trying to split a part in half. Like think of a hollow cube and cut it in half into two parts. 

Can I do this?

Comments

• leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
  • matt_saegermatt_saeger Member Posts: 4
    Thanks I saw that but couldn't make it work so I wasn't sure. I figured out that I needed to set the plane where I want the split using the plane tool (never used that before) before trying to use the split tool. 
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    I am also not finding it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, 
    Josiah - Professional user 

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Are you trying to split the part, not just the face?

If so you need to:-

(a) Select the "part" tab in the feature
    (b) Have something to split it with, this can be anything planar, so a plane of the flat face.

If that doesn't make sense if you post a link to the doc someone will jump into it and help.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @Josiah_Harthcock

Split does not work on active sheet metal models. There is an IR for it - please vote it up. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve in this case. Usually the work-around is to split the input geometry.
    Are you trying to split the part, not just the face?

If so you need to:-

(a) Select the "part" tab in the feature
    (b) Have something to split it with, this can be anything planar, so a plane of the flat face.

If that doesn't make sense if you post a link to the doc someone will jump into it and help.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Basically I'd like to add flanges to both ends that are different. And cutting the flange and then moving the face was throwing an error as well.
    I do not need the part split.

Thanks!

lana said:
    @Josiah_Harthcock

Split does not work on active sheet metal models. There is an IR for it - please vote it up. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve in this case. Usually the work-around is to split the input geometry.
    Do you have a link for the request? Are you saying split the sketch before the part is created?

Thanks!
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited November 2018
    Basically I'd like to add flanges to both ends that are different. And cutting the flange and then moving the face was throwing an error as well.

Then split part or face will not be the right approach for you. Please share the model here or file a support issue and we will help you to figure it out.

This IR  seems to be closes to what you need.