Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing

miyah_hofermiyah_hofer Member Posts: 42 EDU
I would like to make a 3D animal. I would usually trace a picture then extrude it but I don't want to do that I want it round and realistic. How would I do that? (I have no document to attach.)

Answers

• Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    edited November 2018
    Onshape and other machine design CAD programs typically don't do well for completely organic shapes that are not driven by curves.
    If you really want a realistic 3D model of an animal (or plant, person, mountain, etc) you'd likely have better luck with a program designed for 3D art, like Blender (FOSS) or similar.  These deal directly with a surface mesh rather than mathematically defined boundary surfaces, and so are more suited for organic shapes.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    miyah_hofermiyah_hofer Member Posts: 42 EDU
    @lemon1324   Are the programs free like onshape? Even though onshape isn't completely free it can be.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @miyah_hofer

When @lemon1324 mentions FOSS, he is saying that Blender is Free Open Source Software.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team