Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copy Sketch Entities and Maintain Position

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
When I copy sketch entities and paste them into a new sketch, it doesn't maintain its position.

Is there any way to paste it into the same position?

Best Answers

Answers

• famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    my intent is really to move a spline from one sketch to another, but I didn't see a move command
    also, its position is part of the entity, so it should "copy" that as well
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @famadorian

Could you just "use" the original sketch entities in your other sketch?
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-use.htm

If you are trying to move your entire sketch to a different plane, you could just change the sketch plane of that sketch.  Open the sketch dialog for the original sketch.  Click on the "sketch plane" selector box in the dialog that pops up, and select a different plane.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @famadorian

Could you just "use" the original sketch entities in your other sketch?
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-use.htm

If you are trying to move your entire sketch to a different plane, you could just change the sketch plane of that sketch.  Open the sketch dialog for the original sketch.  Click on the "sketch plane" selector box in the dialog that pops up, and select a different plane.
    No, I don't want to "use", cause I want to move certain sketch entities to a new sketch. 

I'm not trying to move the entire sketch, just certain entities in one sketch over to another. 
    So, this can't be done?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry, I'm missing the point as to why "use" is inappropriate? You can project as many or as few entities as you wish.  Please elaborate a bit and I'm sure we can help.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Sorry, I'm missing the point as to why "use" is inappropriate? You can project as many or as few entities as you wish.  Please elaborate a bit and I'm sure we can help.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    It's inappropriate because I want to clean up the sketch. I'd like to organize sketch entities in another sketch, so as to not clog up this sketch. 
    edited December 2018
    @famadorian
    You can copy and paste the sketch entities, then use the sketch transform tool to move them.

The reason what you're wanting wouldn't work is because it wouldnt know whether to project from the first or second sketch plane, or to copy them with the same dimensions or what.
    Ok, this makes sense, somewhat.

Though, I was moving it from a plane that was parallel to the original plane, but I understand the point. I'll close this case and I'll just have to manually move my entities. 

Thanks;)
  • joakim_møllerjoakim_møller Member Posts: 2
    Im sorry but this is too complicated for no reason.