Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Max upload speed Onshape Server can prvide

jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Hello. I'm wondering, if I want to decrease my loading time by getting faster internet, what is the max (average not peak) that OnShape server can provide. (i'm in Montreal)
Do you plan on adding server closer to Montreal soon?
Tagged:

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited December 2018
    @jonathan_monette - There is so much technical magic that goes on in Onshape, that 'faster internet' is usually not the biggest bang for the buck.
    With regards to your connection, the number one factor is a 'consistent' connection - pick the provider that drops out the least.
    Next, your ping time - run your favorite internet performance test - what is your ping? Sub 10ms is a good starting point.
    The actual volume of data being transferred is very small - bandwidth is a much lower factor.

The 'performance of your document is determined to a much greater degree by what's in it. 
    Here is a link to the performance webinar that I did recently.

https://www.onshape.com/videos/tips-and-tricks-to-turbocharge-onshape-performance-and-speed-110618

As an example, my 800 part engine assembly opens in about 6 seconds - way faster than in any other CAD system.

Please post the results of your 'turbocharging' here for others to learn from too! :)
    Many thanks - Philip.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    HI @jonathan_monette. Unless your internet service is unusually slow (which is probably unlikely in Montreal), performance problems are probably caused by other reasons. Can you please open a support ticket with exactly what operations are slow for you and when you are seeing them?

At this time, we are not planning on adding any new North American data centers. The latency to our existing one in Oregon is fine for using Onshape.

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    What does your performance on https://cad.onshape.com/check show?
  • jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    i'm talking about loading time for one big assembly. I guess this is controlled by the speed conexion and not the ping time.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @jonathan_monette - that performance test tells you how fast you can render triangles - has very little to do with the time taken to 'open' a document.
    (internet 'speed' also has very little to do with opening times)
    Please submit a support ticket AND watch the webinar.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I've just finish watching the webminar, It will be usefull. I know this does influence my fps but not the loading time. but @john_rousseau asked me for this. Still i think when i work in my big assembly and if my conexion is twice faster i will receive the 3D twice faster, right? My question is how fast can you send this so i don't over pay for a to fast internet. 

I'm not saying it super slow or something, i would just like to optimize it when it's not a question of refreshing an assembly in your server but getting the 3D data faster from your server

Make sens or my thinking is wrong?
    HI @jonathan_monette. I don't believe that a faster internet will help you at all here. I think some upcoming performance work on our side and some changes to the structure of your documents (per @philip_thomas's video) will make the most difference.