Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ability to call arbitary custom subfeatures for a fields of the feature.

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in FeatureScript
Once I've seen a proclamation that Onshape is built in a single command at the time paradigm, but then a feature like Create selection become avaliable. We now can make a parametric measured parameters with all kinds of measuring features and pass them as variables to the built in commands. We have the idea to be able to deal with query parameters in the same way:
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/31674#Comment_31674
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10299/associative-and-multyconditional-entity-selection-for-create-selection-tool
So generally the idea to be able to preprocess query and numeric parameters, passed to the built in features with some custom functions is flying in the air, if only we could call custom subfeatures just like dealing now with Create selection utility. In this case the problem I see is defining which subfeature should be called for each type of input fields of the built in features, it possibly would requare context-sensitive menu of associated subfeatures in the input field for the main command and a special tag for subfeature definition, which says that it can interact with an input fields of a certain types.
What you think about it?

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    :+1:
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    We're definitely thinking along these lines.  I can say that a parametric version of create selection will happen at some point.  No idea of how customizable with FS it would be yet.  We're also going to be doing more with subfeatures soon, though I think not to the extent you've described.

A challenge with this type of functionality is that it makes it easy to create parametric dependencies that are so clever that no one will be able to figure them out.  I (as I'm sure you guys realize) tend to think of parametric models as programs, and I want to be sure that the "code" is not just powerful, but also "readable".
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ilya_baran thanks for explanation, often you just want for example all the edges of the cut to be passed to the fillet command, but now the only solution is to go and make an FS for this - doesn't look as clever as it could be)
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Yes, that's why that part we plan to have.  I was more referring to things like custom functions hidden away in feature parameters doing who knows what.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc