Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to get imported mesh into same tab as existing onshape parts for visual comparison? SOLVED THX!

fightingtorquefightingtorque OS Professional Posts: 10
edited January 2019 in Community Support
Hi,

Basically, I have a tab with parts in it and a tab with an imported mesh.  I'd like to be able to get them into the same tab to examine the fit but can't see how that can be done:

I have designed a spoiler for a car using onshape.  First, I made measurements of the part of the car it would fit to, and created parts to model that.  Then, designed the part.  After 3D printing the part, I found fitment error due to inaccuracies of the measurement - it's a reasonably complex set of curves.  I have now used photogrammetry to create a mesh of this section of the car.  Assembling the current design to the car shape mesh "by eye" in meshmixer, it shows the same deviation as the actual part, so this validates the mesh geometry.  Thus, I can modify the design and check the fit so that it should be right second time I print it (several hours to print the parts).

But I would prefer to make this comparison in onshape so that I can immediately see the changes, rather than edit my model ,  then export as an STL and bring it into position in meshmixer every time.

I can import the mesh into onshape but it appears in a new tab and I don't see how I can get my existing parts into the tab with the mesh or the mesh into a tab or assembly with the parts?   I don't really want to have to design the parts all over again in that new tab.  So is there a way I can bring the existing parts from one tab to another?

Here is the file link:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d983d64adc008a1ee21d2eef/w/95878e9aaeb69ca8db6e32ad/e/bed960290457202f0227f169   onshape support access is turned on.  You will find one tab with the existing design, one tab with the imported mesh, and two photo tabs showing how I fitted them together in meshmixer.

I will be designing various body parts for cars and want to use photogrammetry so I would like to  have a good workflow to get onshape parts and imported meshes alongside each other, even though it is currently only possible for visual identification.

Thanks
Gav
Tagged:

Best Answer

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Answer ✓
    Hi @fightingtorque,

I think the `Derive` command is what you are looking for. I duplicated your `spoiler mk2` tab to `spoiler mk2 with derive` and brought the mesh in from the `scimitar rear meshmixer before making solid` Part Studio. You can use the transform feature to manipulate the position and rotation if it is not where you want. You can find documentation on derive here and documentation on transform here.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Mike

Answers

Answer ✓
    Hi @fightingtorque,

I think the `Derive` command is what you are looking for. I duplicated your `spoiler mk2` tab to `spoiler mk2 with derive` and brought the mesh in from the `scimitar rear meshmixer before making solid` Part Studio. You can use the transform feature to manipulate the position and rotation if it is not where you want. You can find documentation on derive here and documentation on transform here.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Mike
  • fightingtorquefightingtorque OS Professional Posts: 10
    Thanks Mike, that's perfect.  Is there a description of the derive command somewhere (I figure it maybe has multiple applications that I should learn).
    @fightingtorque

I'm glad that helped! You can find the documentation at: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm?Highlight=derive