Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to personalize the user interface / colors ?

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Community Support
Hello OnShape team, I am tring a second time to get into OnShape and I would like to have the option to not only have a dark theme available but to move things around or collapse (ex the feature tree when not used and bring it on with a shortcut or mouse touching that side of the screen).

Is this possible or any plan for such personalization options?

Thank you. 

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I know dark theme has be brought up before, but Onshape has basically said your web browser can handle all of that so use the builtin themes.
    Honestly I don't think this is good enough either. It requires a lot of messing about trying to get that hack to look good. In the end I just gave up and went back to white default, and switched SolidWorks back to Light theme so it's not that shocking switching back and fourth.

As for the feature tree collapse, submit an improvement request and see if anyone gives it some up votes.
  • victor_ragusilavictor_ragusila Member Posts: 8
    I can get the browser (Chrome) to be nice and dark, but I cant get the background color in Onshape to be dark. Any ideas how to do it in Chrome?
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @victor_ragusila : If you mean changing the color of the modeling area where the graphics are rendered, this cannot be done via a browser setting. This is an HTML5 Canvas element and its color gets side programmatically.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
  • adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    I'd like to report that the Night Eye extension for FF and Chrome has been updated in such a way that now Onshape looks pretty great in dark mode.  Everything is darkened, even the workspace and the tool icons are still fairly legible.  It's a paid extension, but this just made it a lifetime buy for me.
  • julian_miller158julian_miller158 Member Posts: 2
    Hi OnShape team, I'm attempting to use OnShape again, and this time, I'd appreciate the inclusion of a dark theme. Additionally, it would be great to have the flexibility to rearrange elements or collapse certain features (e.g., the feature tree) when not in use. It would be convenient to bring them back with either a shortcut or by hovering the mouse over the respective side of the screen.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Additionally, it would be great to have the flexibility to rearrange elements or collapse certain features (e.g., the feature tree) when not in use. It would be convenient to bring them back with either a shortcut or by hovering the mouse over the respective side of the screen.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    Can confirm, the Night Eye extension isn't perfect but it works quite well for Onshape (though I have no idea how it manages this sorcery). I didn't pay for it.