Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

cant add holes in flat pattern

karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I am trying to get parts into OnShape while I have a minute so we can transition from SWKS.
I'm trying to add holes with the hole feature in the flat pattern, Hole feature isn't recognizing the sketch points.
Any comments appreciated.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Hole does not support sheet metal flat pattern input. Please file an improvement request , if you need this functionality. In meantime placing holes in folded model should work. Cylindrical cut in flat pattern would work also, but you would not get hole annotations in drawings this way.
  • karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Lana, I suspected this was the answer. I will submit a request.

Answers

edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Hole does not support sheet metal flat pattern input. Please file an improvement request , if you need this functionality. In meantime placing holes in folded model should work. Cylindrical cut in flat pattern would work also, but you would not get hole annotations in drawings this way.
  • karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Lana, I suspected this was the answer. I will submit a request.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @lana
    If this is implemented, will the transform from flat to model be a function that other people's FeatureScripts could use?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @mbartlett21
    We'll try to expose some level of utility for operations in sheet metal flat to Feature Script, not necessarily simultaneously with implementing support for holes, though.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Thanks!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    edited November 2018
    I personally can't think where I would need to use the hole functionality in the flat pattern. However, we do extrude cuts in the flat pattern. An example would be in a firepit ring where were doing a custom logo for a customer.
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I need to add holes in the flat pattern - or at least make the sketched points visible in the 3D model.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @bill_daniels

You can cut holes in the flat using flat sketch and extrusion.  Do you need the hole feature specifically? The missing functionality here is that without the hole feature there are no callouts in the drawing.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team