Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Exporting stl file and printing.

Another Onshape user and myself have been having issues with the stl files when exported from Onshape.  We both have 3D printers but he uses Cura and I use Simplify 3D as slicer software.  His problem is when he sets the units for inches and exports in inches the files come into the slice program as very tiny images.  He has also had the same problems when using millimeters.  My issues are that I set the dimensions of the part to be smaller than the bed size but when I import into Simplify it creeps over the edges.  Can anyone shed some light on these issues? 

Answers

• shaun_singhshaun_singh OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
    We use mm in Slic3r and don't have any issues - might be worth giving that a go?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think STL files actually store in/mm/m information. So its up to the software that's reading the file (your slicer) to convert the size to the correct unit. If I remember correctly, Cura uses mm by default (or may only use mm). So, I would convert the model to mm before exporting and see if that helps.

For example: If you convert a 1in cube, the STL file will only know that each edge is only 1 "unit" long. When cura imports it, each "unit" = 1 mm, so you end up with a 1mm cube.   If, on the other hand, you export your cube in mm, each edge will be 25.4 "units" long and cura will convert 25.4 "units" to 25.4 mm and you end up with your 1in cube.
  • terry_rorisonterry_rorison Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Tim, that partially explains it.  My friend did set the units to mm and the same small import into Cura happened. He had to enlarge it 2500% to be big enough. My issue with Simplify is different.  My printer bed is 5.9 x 5.9 x 8.9" and I designed the pieces to be no larger than 8.5" in length and converted the document units to mm.  Upon import the part is longer than the printer bed.  So the issue is still unresolved but thank you for your advice. Terry
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Terry. I wonder if your slicer has a no print zone border around the edge of your build plate? I've exported STL files out of Onshape most days for the last few years and have never had one come out the wrong size, so if I'd be looking at slicer configurations first.
    If you'd like to post links to your file and the other one too then I'm sure we could take a look.
    O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • terry_rorisonterry_rorison Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Owen, no print one border - not that I can find.  It does have a feature to fit to the bed and it works except it obviously changes dimensions but I can't determine what those new dimensions are.  On dimension in particular is important that was set in the original design.  I use Simplify 3D.