Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Honeycomb Linear Feature Remove Pattern missing instances

david_riedelldavid_riedell Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I'm trying to create a honeycomb pattern in an extruded cylinder, but when I try to do a linear feature pattern on my extruded remove (the two hexagons at the center), for some reason not all of the pattern instances are extruded (removed from the cylinder). Does anyone know why this is?

Best Answers

• david_riedelldavid_riedell Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @lemon1324
    Good advice, thanks.

For posterity, here's what I did:

I split the part i wanted to put the hex pattern on into 2 parts, and put a sketch with my honeycomb pattern the surface of the circle along with a larger circle that I will use later.

I rotated the view to see from underneath the surface. This is the extruded larger circle from the sketch above  (extruded upward) plus the hexagonal pattern extruded downward.

I used a centered linear pattern to create my tool for removal. The large disk is used to keep all of these extruded hexagons as one part rather than dozens of individual parts.

I unhid the original disc so you can see how the linear pattern intersects it.

I did a boolean subtract using the orange part on the blue part to create my honeycomb pattern.

Then I did a Boolean Union to merge the honeycomb with the rest of the part shown in the first picture.

There's probably a more efficient way to do this, but it worked for me.

Answers

• david_riedelldavid_riedell Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @lemon1324
    Good advice, thanks.

For posterity, here's what I did:

I split the part i wanted to put the hex pattern on into 2 parts, and put a sketch with my honeycomb pattern the surface of the circle along with a larger circle that I will use later.

I rotated the view to see from underneath the surface. This is the extruded larger circle from the sketch above  (extruded upward) plus the hexagonal pattern extruded downward.

I used a centered linear pattern to create my tool for removal. The large disk is used to keep all of these extruded hexagons as one part rather than dozens of individual parts.

I unhid the original disc so you can see how the linear pattern intersects it.

I did a boolean subtract using the orange part on the blue part to create my honeycomb pattern.

Then I did a Boolean Union to merge the honeycomb with the rest of the part shown in the first picture.

There's probably a more efficient way to do this, but it worked for me.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @david_riedell
    Cool method!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100