Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing numbers

I'm currently setting up a revision control / company numbering system.  I've noted that Onshape has not included 'Drawing number' as part of the standard drawing parameter set.  ('Part number' has been included, 'Drawing number' has not)

In practice, is it expected that the 'part number' field within a drawing would effectively be treated as the drawing number?  This would seem to cause confusion when 'Part number' is a different thing to 'Drawing number'?  Curiously, the 'Release Management Workflow' has an option to prevent a drawing from having the same part number as its part (Enforced by "☑️All part numbers in a release must be unique")

Or is it better to manually create a new 'drawing number' field under Admin user -> company settings -> properties?

Does anybody have practical experience with this?

I'm also curious, is there a practical reason Onshape didn't include 'Drawing number' in its standard property set?

Best Answer

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2019
    Andrew - 'Part Number' can be used interchangeably between drawings and parts.
    This is exactly why we included the option to allow duplication between parts and drawings. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    Andrew - 'Part Number' can be used interchangeably between drawings and parts.
    This is exactly why we included the option to allow duplication between parts and drawings. :)
    Thanks ...

... so if I don't want to use them interchangeably (e.g: I want to retain a '1:many' correspondence between parts and drawings) then I would need to to manually create a new 'drawing number' field under Admin user -> company settings -> properties?  Is that the recommended workflow?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @philip_thomas
    Is there a way to 'force' the drawing to use the same number as the part?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
    @philip_thomas
    Is there a way to 'force' the drawing to use the same number as the part?
    Hi,
    This question didn't get answered, and it's a good one!  I would love this feature.
    Thanks,
    Andres
  • mads_peter_jensenmads_peter_jensen Member Posts: 1
    This is a very good question indeed. I also would like an answer.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a way to force the drawing PN to be the same as the part's PN. I believe the closest you can come is having the drawing automatically reference and display the part's PN property. 

It seems like it could be complicated to implement because you can easily add more than one part to a drawing. So, there would need to be some user input to figure out which part's number to use (and thereby making it non-automatic again...).