Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

[New] Fill gaps FeatureScript

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
Easily identify open gaps in surface bodies with this new custom feature with option to automatically fill the gaps and create a solid part.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ce40596b860ab50d657e1a25/v/93eddbbe03dde1a35dcb3d19/e/c40a2b405f618e4760ef6ebb 

Thanks to @kevin_o_toole_1 and a few others for the guidance!
Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Oooooh. I I have a bunch of imported vendor "parts" that are in fact surfaces with tiny holes in them. I wonder what it will make of those?
    Thanks Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @owen_sparks
    That was sort of the intent for this feature but keep in mind a broken edge may still prevent the fill from solving. If you have an import that could be made public (or shared with me) I would love to take a try at it :smiley: !
    Onshape, Inc.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Just spent 6 hours repairing a file - I am happy to see this!  I dm you and would love to share some file(s).

Any way to choose two surface or more bodies?  I have surfaces that look OK to work for 'Enclose' but fail.   Seems your routine would be just the thing!

Thanks!
    www.accuratepattern.com
    TimRice said:
    @owen_sparks
    That was sort of the intent for this feature but keep in mind a broken edge may still prevent the fill from solving. If you have an import that could be made public (or shared with me) I would love to take a try at it :smiley: !
    Hi Tim.

Awesome. 
    I've made this document public:-
    and have also shared it with you, should you wish to avoid the working in a copy of a copy scenario!

There is a comment tagged to a problem face that might be a good test candidate.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    just a shout to @TimRice
    Your feature found a minuscule fault in some Creo CAD for me today that allowed the conversion of a surface back into a proper part.  Nice job :+1:
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Awesome!  :)
    Onshape, Inc.