Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

WebGL problems

sören_svenssonsören_svensson Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
The last few days onshape has crashed WebGL on a regular basis. I usually use Opera (58.0.3135.90), but I've tried Chrome (72.0.3626.121) and FireFox (65.0.1) with the same result. It's not just a specific document, it happens on all of them. Other sites like webglsamples.org works just fine in another tab until onshape crashes webgl.
Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Have you checked for graphics driver updates ?
  • sören_svenssonsören_svensson Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Yes, I've tried both newest and old drivers. I even tried with another graphics card. I run Ubuntu 18.04 with an Nvidia 560Ti card.
    I notice if I have youtube or some other webgl running in another tab it can cause lag and other conflicts. I assume you have also tried with a single tab?
    Yes, I have. No difference :-(
    are you using proprietry drivers or nouveau?

I'm seeing turning off hardware acceleration in chrome settings helps people. (kind of defeats the purpose IMHO) 
    It happens with both nvidias proprietary drivers and the nouveau. I haven't tried turning off HW acceleration. I can try it as a test but not as a solution.
    At this point I would recommend contacting support within the document, they can get more meta data and see if there is something deeper that the basic stuff we can recommend on the forum

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    sören_svensson ,

A few things to try out 

1. Can you open the graphics compatibility page and paste a screen shot : https://cad.onshape.com/check
    2. On Chrome can you open chrome://gpu/ and send us the result?
    3. When you experience the crash, do you see any JavaScript console errors in your browsers console window?

Here are the 2 first ones, I'll send 2 & 3 when it crashes again.
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    @sören_svensson  - does the issue always occur with the same Onshape document/tab?  If so, it's possible that there is something specific about the document that is causing a GPU issue (e.g., exceeding a memory limit).
    No, it doesn't matter which document (and they're all pretty small). Here's an example https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a5325a5e3e745da1d2fea385/w/c249d941c23c0dc20de9ce43/e/ba7995ce1c3f198f6cc0fcba