Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Music Box on ice

tarek_mustafatarek_mustafa Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Hallo Onshape Forum,

I made some further progress with my Music Box (build after a model I purchased on Amazon) but can't progress it much further with my knowledge in Onshape. 

- I am missing the functionality to sketch on circles
- From what I see is that you can't sketch / modify imported objects
- Illustrator sketches can't be imported and used for modelling
- I have no clue how to model this wheel (bigger one)

Until above functionalities are included, and I am sure they will come, I put this project on ice but leave the file open for the public in case someone like to play around.

imageimage

Best Answer

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @tarek_mustafa  generally in CAD you don't sketch on a circular surface but sketch on a flat plane and project to the surface, however I could be misinterpret what your saying about sketching on a circle. It should be possible to get the shapes required by doing a extrude remove then taper or move face if necessary.

Share me in with babart77@gamil.com and I will have a go. (no stress if you don't want me in your doc but the collaboration features of Onsahpe are really cool)
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • tarek_mustafatarek_mustafa Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Thank you @BruceBartlett I have shared the model with you and be happy for any help to get better in CAD. Thanks!
  • dave_halseth27809dave_halseth27809 Member Posts: 3
    Here is the info on creating a spiral line;
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#web-help/helix.htm?Highlight=sketch
    I suppose you could make the cone a really short (absurdly short) so that the helix generated doesn't have much movement in the "z" direction.  Then extrude the spring on that helix.
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    I have a more general modeling question that I haven't had time to take a crack at/been curious to ask about for a while, and which I think might help answer what @tarek_mustafa is trying to do.

First, focus on the black pawl wheel in the image below (the upper red arrow):

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the teeth of the pawl are not linear, but rather radial (i.e. the lines that make up the crests and valleys of the teeth don't project normal to some sketch plane, but rather radially outwards from the major axis of the drum. You will need to both create a line on the outer diameter of the pawl wheel, and have a cut/extrude that is normal to that sketch at every point along its length. Can you come up with a general procedure for modeling this in OnShape? Can you do it with a face/body pattern, so you don't have to model all the teeth? For convenience's sake, assume that there is a hole through the center of the pawl wheel that is 1/2 the OD of the pawl wheel, so you don't wind up with some wacky self-intersecting geometry at the center.

(@BruceBartlett - I think this is what you were alluding to above - if you wouldn't mind creating a sample model you can share publicly, that would be awesome!)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Sorry @tarek_mustafa I typed my email wrong so didn't get the share try babart77@gmail.com

See this gif, this is how I would to the radial pawl.
    imageimage
    And finish with a face partern
    @BruceBartlett  That is awesome! I learned a great new technique again today, thank you. I added you to the Music Box, lets finish the Music Box together :-)
    edited May 2015
    Used the comments for the first time while collaborating in @tarek_mustafa 's doc.
    Very cool, I think this can also work like a chat tool if you click on a reply after the first comment rather than Adding a new comment. It needs a little bell/icon to let you know when a comments is added, not sure if that's there yet.
    I
    Hi @BruceBartlett , thank you for your help! I think we are close to complete this little project. I believe only the assembly with mates is missing. @Philip Thomas  and @lou_gallo123 kindly offered their help with this as well. This forum is great!

• VinceHaley_SkillCoachVinceHaley_SkillCoach Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hello @tarek_mustafa I saw this thread yesterday and thought I give it a go at coming up with another modeling approach to @BruceBartletton the pawl gear.

Here's what I've got so far. Also is there any chance I could go access to the assembly so I could resize and detail my component more?

Thanks,
    Vince

Vince Haley
    Creative and Technical Skill Development Coach
    Design Inspiration
    LinkedIn Bio
    Hi @Vince, I completed this part already thanks to the example @BruceBartlett provided. Thank you very much for your feedback