Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is the origin in matedCS in Assembly Definition API a local coordinate or global coordinate?

C_JustinC_Justin Member Posts: 16
edited April 2019 in Community Support
Is the origin in matedCS in Assembly Definition API a local coordinate or global coordinate?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• C_JustinC_Justin Member Posts: 16
    Just a quick question for this.

I got a mate located here. How can I then get the location of the mate in the world coordinate system?

Also, 

It seems in the occurrence's coordinate system, the mate is not at the origin but the API gives "origin" : [ 2.5117617568793384E-18, 0.0, 0.0 ]", why this is not the case that the mate location is relative to the occurence's coordinate system?
  • Ethan_KEthan_K Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Hmm, could you share the document? Then we should be able to determine what is happening! And the coordinate you posted is the origin just with a rounding error because floats, you know! (2.5117617568793384E-18 = 0)
  • C_JustinC_Justin Member Posts: 16
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f50dce491bdee895ba806f07/w/dd4826567d4b24e3f5922dfc/e/89fa612e49c9bf6a95ef375d
    This is the document, I think the mate connector connects at someplace near the origin but not the origin(not within  2.5117617568793384E-18)?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @C_Justin

Our length tolerance is 10 nanometers (1e-8), anything difference smaller than that we would consider 0.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team