Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 14, 2015

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited May 2015 in New in Onshape
Update day is here and today we are launching our first loft tool to support of some advanced shapes for mechanical design.  Also making the cut was ellipse, some improvements to the import/export/translation workflows and some additional zooming tools.  We are also opening up the approvals so new users are now able to get into beta without any waiting!

Highlights include:
  1. NEW Loft - our first iteration of blending multiple profiles to one another with support for guide curves and vertex matching.

2. NEW Ellipse -A new sketch tool located under the circle dropdown.

3. Normal to (n) now maintains zoom level and a new "Zoom to selection" shows in the context menu when items are selected.

4. Commenting now has email notification with the option to opt-out

5. Import/Download/Export/Translate workflows have been improved (more refinements coming....)

* Import now auto translates from within a document (for translatable file types)
    * Part Studios and Assemblies -> Export (will translate and download in one step)
    * Imported CAD data tabs -> Download/Export (select format -> auto downloaded) or Import (will translate to Onshape)

6. Public document sharing modifications (to avoid accidental public sharing) - shows badge in the document header

Honorable mentions:
  • Share with Onshape support button

As many of you have noticed, we try to ship new features when they are stable and ready for feedback.  Remember, we like to ship new tools frequently and iterate on them based on your input so give these tools a try and let us know what you think!  A big THANK YOU goes out to those who have submitted tickets and feedback in the forums.   We are working on more exciting new features to come.. stay tuned!  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Nice new tools, the loft feature is very important. But now that you have added elipses (by the way... who mechanical designer use it? I didn't remember using any elipse in 15 years of cad related work..), why not add poligons (the hexas, pentas, n sides) and maybe a slot (a rectangle with rounded corners) feature? Slots are very common, more than elipses, and maybe would be a killer feature (yes, my cad system can make slots in one click, and yours?)

Regards, and thanks for the update!
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi sergio_p,

We have inscribed and circumscribed polygons in sketch.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#sketch-tools-inscribed_polygon.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#sketch-tools-circumscribed_polygon.htm

Is there some other type of polygon that you need?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Thanks Jake, I didn't noticed about the polygons :-)

By the way, the slot shape is very common, would be very nice to have a specific tool to draw it (and leaving it constrained).

Regards.
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just dropped in an .iges and it auto translated. Is this a new feature too?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I'd much rather have sketch blocks (or whatever onshape will call them) than any specific compound feature like slots. (or regular polygons, which are already there by the way).

With sketch blocks one can preconstrain whatever is needed, slots, dogbones, oring grooves, etc.

Add in configurations to the blocks and extend them to library features and we don't need onshape to worry about slots or hole wizards.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This is part of:
    5. Import/Download/Export/Translate workflows have been improved (more refinements coming....)

* Import now auto translates from within a document (for translatable file types)
    * Part Studios and Assemblies -> Export (will translate and download in one step)
    * Imported CAD data tabs -> Download/Export (select format -> auto downloaded) or Import (will translate to Onshape)
    Jake Ramsley

• cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Yes, it now automatically translates when importing.
  • burkeaburkea Onshape Employees Posts: 2
    Aw shucks honorable mention :3
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I'd much rather have sketch blocks (or whatever onshape will call them) than any specific compound feature like slots. (or regular polygons, which are already there by the way).

With sketch blocks one can preconstrain whatever is needed, slots, dogbones, oring grooves, etc.

Add in configurations to the blocks and extend them to library features and we don't need onshape to worry about slots or hole wizards.
    @Traveler Hauptman

And 3D sketch blocks would be dreamy for mechanism layout....
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about dropping the clunky "blocks" terminology, perhaps in favour of "groups"?

And more to the point: a big raising of the glass to the boys and girls at OnS (ya dun good!) for another important step towards a fully functioning package.  

I reckon this one deserves the breakout something towards the champagne end of the spectrum in recognition of awesome.

I look forward to setting up some gnarly guide curves, in order to see how well they are respected when the envelope is duly pushed. It was a distinct weakness in the early days of loft on other packages ... I'm sure those lessons will have been comprehensively learned, standing on the shoulders of giants and all that (I'm guessing it's much more a function of the kernel?)
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Onshape team by new tools!

The Loft feature will be very useful !!!
  • david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    The next update will be around June 4 2015 and if we are lucky the first item on the update list will be DRAWINGS. We can only hope.

Yesterdays updates are great. I'll be using loft a lot.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    How would configurations in blocks (or groups) with extensions to library features work, at least in a general way?  I am getting to the point where some sort of hole wizard is really needed that can accommodate straight, counterbored, countersunk, and threaded holes that will provide callouts in 2D drawings when those arrive.  Will your suggestion provide a good solution for that issue?

My sole CAD experience is with Alibre/GeoMagic Design in case that context helps.

Mike
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks Onshape for the updates. Some great new features. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next release now. 

@jakeramsley I should have read more closely before posting about the import. Got a bit excited as my workflow for importing had just dramatically decreased in click's.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Loft. At last! 

But can we get it with tangency influence from the profiles please? This is actually more useful for freeform design than guide curves.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Kevin Quigley Yep.  Lots to iterate on but more to come!
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @Michael3424 I suspect it will be a while. I think that when we see features added to Onshape around inter-document references and configuration management then library features or hole wizards will be available shortly after.

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.  I really like what Onshape is doing but hole features/callouts and at least basic 2D drawings are necessary before I can commit more completely.  It's going to be an interesting ride.
    Thanks Onshape for the updates. Some great new features. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next release now. 

@jakeramsley I should have read more closely before posting about the import. Got a bit excited as my workflow for importing had just dramatically decreased in click's.
    No problem, being excited is good.  We are still working on improving the import/export workflows and this is just the start.  Hopefully we have more excitable tweaks in the coming months.
    Jake Ramsley

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
  • steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Nice work guys!!  Some good things in there, I like the added Zoom options for sure.  And of course great to see our old friend, Loft..
    ~Steve
    We need to meet again our missed brother Drawing, and maybe get some info of the distant cousin FEA also :smiley: 
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'm sure they all come home for christmas =)  
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the zoom ratio being maintained when "View Normal" is invoked. I really miss "Zoom to Area" though - I wonder if the valuable new "Zoom to selection" command could be further enhanced, such that, if there were no preselection, the same command would zoom to a rectangular box drawn *after* clicking the command ?
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Hooray LOFT!

Now we just need hole features. :)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    onshaper said:
    Hooray LOFT!

Now we just need hole features. :)
    and cross-document tabs (standard parts) and configurations and drawings and more time to play with Onshape  ;)
    //rami