Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parametrization barrier of manual context update for configured part studios

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Imagine you have configured part studio and configured assembly made of parts from those part studio and from some external parts and subassemblies. Now you want to make in-context edits to the configured part studio geometry refferencing components which position or geometry depends on the assembly configuration state. Just was exploring how in-context references behave in case if they include configurable geometry and as I expected you have to each time when configuration changes update the context manually. And it seems like this is some barrier of parametrization originating from manual context update paradigm. The solution I can think about is allowing to configure part studio context itself, or to optionally allow dynamic context update when assembly configuration parameter changes, or some another mechanism which provides linking assembly context to the appropriate part studio configuration.

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    I think I see what you're saying, though it's making my head hurt a bit.  If you have just an enum or a boolean configuration parameter, you should be able to configure the QLVs with in-context references and get what you want (essentially using one context per config).  For continuous configuration parameters, however, we really don't want to potentially have to regenerate an entire assembly for a previously unseen configuration of a part studio, so the "parametrization barrier" is deliberate.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I was recently creating an assembly with a similar problem. I ended up configuring the selections for each in-context feature I needed to reference. It was a little finicky, but in the end it all worked the way I wanted. Still it would have been nice to configure the Assembly Contexts and have my sketches resize with the selection of a different configuration, as only the position of the forks were shifting in space and I wasn't trying to reference completely different parts.
    I created the vertical tube in context of the smallest configuration of this frame. For the vertical tube to grow with each larger frame, the Move Face selections are configured to the face of the forks they are attached to, which you can see as the magenta rectangles arrayed below the model. Below are a few of the finished assemblies. Both the vertical tube and left most horizontal tube have in context references.

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I think I see what you're saying, though it's making my head hurt a bit.
    Sorry for this. I undestand your reasons but sometimes just wish to have a big red button to turn on automatic context update.
    I was recently creating an assembly with a similar problem. I ended up configuring the selections for each in-context feature I needed to reference.
    didn't thought about this worflow before you and Ilya mentioned it, thank you, a good enough partial solution
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry for this. I undestand your reasons but sometimes just wish to have a big red button to turn on automatic context update.
    You could put it next to the "do you want your drawings to be out of date" checkbox.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could put it next to the "do you want your drawings to be out of date" checkbox.
    I'm not doing drawings in OS but agree, manual drawing update should be optional (I beleve nobody would be happy to run in production nicely looking but outdated drawings) on par with optional automatic context update. At least they could add this options in a brand new "Super Pro Hardcore" billing plan. >:)