Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Best Workflow for Repeated Geometry?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
I'm trying to find the best workflow to model similar geometry in lots of different places and part studios. Here's the general geometry I'm trying to re-produce without sketching it out every time. It's meant to mount a bearing inside of a tube. Any suggestions or cautionary tales?

I think the best way to deal with this would be a custom feature, but that's still pretty far outside my ability right now, and I don't think I have the time to figure it out at the moment. Would it be an unacceptably bad practice to set up a part studio with the model of what I want to cut away, then derive it into my part studio and transform it to all of the places I want to cut? That way I could use configured variables to get the variations I need, and it would update live. I think using in-context for a similar purpose would be lighter-weight in the model, but then I'd have to update a context every time I change something, so I don't think that will work great for me. What other ideas do people have?

Alternatively, would anyone want to talk me through creating this Featurescript? I've looked into the Port feature, and it seems close to what I need, but I'd love to be able to sketch my profile in a part studio and reference it, more like the updated Beams feature. 
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited May 2019
    there is a Super derive feature by @ilya_baran for deriving to the final position defined by MC's and making boolean
    knew I'd seen that functionality somewhere! thanks for bringing it back to mind. I like that better than anything I've thought of, and it means I wouldn't have to write a new feature every time I have a similar need
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl