Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing and using kicad 3d PCB

kuonkuon Member Posts: 2 PRO
When importing .STEP files from kicad, onshape creates an assembly with all the components as parts.

My problem is when I insert this "subassembly" into my main assembly and put a mate connector on one of the screw pads, only the PCB is mated and all my components are loose.

How can I specify that all my components must be mated in place to the PCB?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    To quickly constrain many parts relative to each other you can use the Group constraint in the subassembly. To learn more please see our documentation:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/mategroup.htm

Depending on the quantity of parts in the subassembly you may benefit from combining all the parts into one part. To do so simply create a new In-context part studio, use the Transform feature to copy the parts in place, and finally use the Boolean feature to combine all the parts to one part. If you can make the document public and share the link here many people will be happy to help!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.

Answers

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    To quickly constrain many parts relative to each other you can use the Group constraint in the subassembly. To learn more please see our documentation:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/mategroup.htm

Depending on the quantity of parts in the subassembly you may benefit from combining all the parts into one part. To do so simply create a new In-context part studio, use the Transform feature to copy the parts in place, and finally use the Boolean feature to combine all the parts to one part. If you can make the document public and share the link here many people will be happy to help!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @kuon

We also have a custom feature which combines PCB imports into one part:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a9b81d17d4b69e58ad9b0b0/v/c253688ad8add5efd222a709/e/3152191074466a8b45231663

Just click the "+" button in the toolbar of that document to add the feature to your own toolbar.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    And on more interesting option

there is a FeatureScript feature that directly imports KICAD models into Onshape as a feature. 

do a search for “PCB Tools” in public to find and use it. 

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.