Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New user question

mike_klosmike_klos Member Posts: 2
Hello,
 As a new user, I have zero experience in any cad. This program appears to require prior knowledge of various cad. Can anyone recommend any reading/study to get me up to speed? 
 Thanks,
  Mike

Answers

• david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Have you taken a look at the tutorials, they are available from your home page just click on tutorials and samples on the left. They can be very helpful for the beginner. 

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    edited May 2015
    Hi there Mike,

It's true that a lot of people coming into Onshape have used some sort of CAD software before. Luckily you've come to the right place – this forum is a great start and you'll find that everyone here is more than willing to help.

We're working on some stuff now to make it easier for new users like you to get started. However, there are a lot of great videos to get going.

For a high level of understanding, I would recommend starting with these:

1.1.1 – Software Overview and User Interface Tour
    1.1.2 – Parametric Modeling and Feature-Based Modeling
    1.1.3 – Design Intent
    3.1.1 – Starting a Design
    3.1.2 – Part Design Example
    4.1.1 – Introduction to Assemblies and Subassemblies

We've also been working on a kit full of videos and exercises designed for instructors to teach students but it could also serve as a great self-teaching tool. If you'd like to try it out, let me know. It could be exactly what you need and we're looking for people to try it out.

Best,
    Noa

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    I would like to try
  • mike_klosmike_klos Member Posts: 2
    I'd love to try it out. As a matter of fact, I taught high school age kids for four years. 
  • terry_mulvaneyterry_mulvaney Member Posts: 1
    I'd also like to try this, i haven't worked with drawing programs before, and am 61 years old, mind you im doing a diploma in IT (networking) at the moment as well.