Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft won't let me choose a composite curve

TransistorTransistor Member Posts: 11
edited May 2019 in Community Support
It's time to make a genie lamp for a ballet show.
I'm stuck at making the lid. I've created a composite curve around the base part and it incorporates a bridging curve at the spout. The loop, as far as I can tell, is fully closed.

The loft creation dialog won't let me select the composite curve.

Any ideas?

If we get past this problem have you any tips on how to create a lid with an inner lip?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Transistor

Please post the URL of your document along with your question so that people can go into the doc and play around with it.
    Detailed instructions here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • TransistorTransistor Member Posts: 11
    Done, thank you, @Jake.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Without seeing the document (please post the URL here), it looks like the spout area is the problem. You have a set of curves that "reverse" direction on themselves (not sure of the best way to describe that). This will prevent the loft from working.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    Transistor edited the original post and the text "genie lamp" is linked
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • TransistorTransistor Member Posts: 11
    Romeo, that was excellent!

Your second link doesn't work but the first one did. I've redone the model as Genie Lamp 02. I have played around with the lip on the lid and will check it out when I get a sample print. I can see in the section view that I have a little interference with the base.

I've been in electrical engineering for 35 years and done about 5% of my career using 2D and a little 3D CAD. OnShape is stunning, especially considering it is running in a web browser. Who could have forseen all this!

Many thanks.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Happy to help. I agree - Onshape is truly a marvel, and it's been exciting to participate (we truly get to participate with this company, unlike others) in the evolution over the past few years.

Sorry that link was bad. The first link should works; you just need to go to the Branch called "Probably Better Lid" in my original link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3c935dc2d6c9e22dbb31b8ad/w/ab936e9f758746781c628f94/e/0f96f56715d9cb07fda8ba78

(Very simple differences between the two).

Romeo