Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
Loft won't let me choose a composite curve
Transistor
Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
It's time to make a genie lamp for a ballet show.
I'm stuck at making the lid. I've created a composite curve around the base part and it incorporates a bridging curve at the spout. The loop, as far as I can tell, is fully closed.

The loft creation dialog won't let me select the composite curve.
Any ideas?
If we get past this problem have you any tips on how to create a lid with an inner lip?
I'm stuck at making the lid. I've created a composite curve around the base part and it incorporates a bridging curve at the spout. The loop, as far as I can tell, is fully closed.

The loft creation dialog won't let me select the composite curve.
Any ideas?
If we get past this problem have you any tips on how to create a lid with an inner lip?
Tagged:
0
Best Answer
-
@Transistor
I would approach this a little differently: make your main loft a feature that encompasses both the Base and the Lid of the lamp. That way you'll be able to control how they connect more easily. Make them as solid features - and shell them later. Then you can split the Lid from the Base:
You can step through the strategy here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3c935dc2d6c9e22dbb31b8ad/w/4a870a7129e0ac79b998355a/e/0f96f56715d9cb07fda8ba78
(Obviously I ignored any interlocking / registration features that you might need between the parts for flawless function in a live performance)..
I also just realized that maybe you don't need the whole top to be separate - see this Branch for an alternate (and probably more correct) version.
Hope that helps!
Romeo10
Answers
-
@Transistor
Please post the URL of your document along with your question so that people can go into the doc and play around with it.
Detailed instructions here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklistJake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team0 -
Done, thank you, @Jake.0
-
Without seeing the document (please post the URL here), it looks like the spout area is the problem. You have a set of curves that "reverse" direction on themselves (not sure of the best way to describe that). This will prevent the loft from working.Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA0
-
@NeilCooke
Transistor edited the original post and the text "genie lamp" is linked0 -
@Transistor
I would approach this a little differently: make your main loft a feature that encompasses both the Base and the Lid of the lamp. That way you'll be able to control how they connect more easily. Make them as solid features - and shell them later. Then you can split the Lid from the Base:
You can step through the strategy here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3c935dc2d6c9e22dbb31b8ad/w/4a870a7129e0ac79b998355a/e/0f96f56715d9cb07fda8ba78
(Obviously I ignored any interlocking / registration features that you might need between the parts for flawless function in a live performance)..
I also just realized that maybe you don't need the whole top to be separate - see this Branch for an alternate (and probably more correct) version.
Hope that helps!
Romeo10 -
Romeo, that was excellent!
Your second link doesn't work but the first one did. I've redone the model as Genie Lamp 02. I have played around with the lip on the lid and will check it out when I get a sample print. I can see in the section view that I have a little interference with the base.
I've been in electrical engineering for 35 years and done about 5% of my career using 2D and a little 3D CAD. OnShape is stunning, especially considering it is running in a web browser. Who could have forseen all this!
Many thanks.0 -
Happy to help. I agree - Onshape is truly a marvel, and it's been exciting to participate (we truly get to participate with this company, unlike others) in the evolution over the past few years.
Sorry that link was bad. The first link should works; you just need to go to the Branch called "Probably Better Lid" in my original link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3c935dc2d6c9e22dbb31b8ad/w/ab936e9f758746781c628f94/e/0f96f56715d9cb07fda8ba78
(Very simple differences between the two).
Romeo0




