Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing assemblies with motion in different states

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Hi.  I have a steam engine I'm modelling and I want to make a drawing with the crank at top dead centre and at bottom dead centre.

I've found that if I rotate the crank in the assembly and then refresh the drawing, I get the new orientation.

What I'd like to be able to do is to have a drawing with both states in (or two separate drawings, but which don't change when I change the assembly).

I suspect that assembly configurations can help, but I can't see how to set the rotation and if I could I can't see how to specify a configuration in the drawing

Thanks

Iain

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I believe you're after "Named Positions"  So in your assembly you'd create one named position for TDC and another for BDC.  Then in the drawing you'd chose which position to insert.  (The named bits I'm sure on, the drawings method is a presumption on my part.)
    help file:-
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You are right, that is a job for configurations.

You will start by creating a new config on the right fly out.

Then you can either create new mates, then configure suppression of the new and old mates.

Or you can right click anything in the mate and configure each piece independantly

Here I'm configuring the rotation  by right clicking the rotate button, then choosing which config I want to control it.

Once you have your mates added to the configuration list.
    You can switch to the new configuration and make the adjustments you need.
    In this case I would switch to the "Ship" configuration and edit Fastened 4, then click the rotate button until I get the result, then click the green check and  you are done.

Now in Drawings, you will choose your configuration while inserting. (Same as inserting into an assembly)
    Or if your view is already on paper, you can right click the view and "Change Configuration"

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2019
    Just be aware when changing the configuration as @john_mcclary describes, this changes all the views on the drawing but to get an alternate assembly position on some views you have to insert a new view from the insert dialogue and select the alternative configuration here.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yes, good point @brucebartlett
    That does change every view in the series (Child/Parent)
    Creating a new view with insert decouples configuration states :)
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    Yes, we only change one Parent/Child set of dependent views.  We don't change them all.  You can certainly change each set if you want them to all be the same.  Totally your choice.  We wanted to permit some freedom here.  
  • Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 53 PRO
    Hi there, 
    I ran in an issue using configurations for assembly positions with release management.
    The problem is, when I have another configuration onshape also generates a new part No. for the assembly configuration. 
    How can I use configuriations just for positioning without generating new numbers for the same assembly?

thanks, 
    Urs
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi there, 
    I ran in an issue using configurations for assembly positions with release management.
    The problem is, when I have another configuration onshape also generates a new part No. for the assembly configuration. 
    How can I use configuriations just for positioning without generating new numbers for the same assembly?

thanks, 
    Urs
    Hi Urs, have you tried Named Positions?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI