Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assistance needed with Onshape school project

simon_dwyersimon_dwyer Member Posts: 8 EDU
Hello, I'm attempting to create a "paddle" created by my teacher but  I have no idea how to curve the sides or cut a hole through with a diameter of 8mm.
Here is an image of the measurement he has provided:

Here is an image of the finished product:

Here is a link to the project that I am working on:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e780a4e5a73772a86391e2ce/w/00e53da3d39c768db89d30b1/e/a4b0bf0db404d3945158012f
I have created the basic shape but have not curved the sides nor have I cut the hole. If someone could please show me how that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I suppose it depends on what skill the teacher is trying to show you.

From the first image it looks like you want to start with a piece of material, then cut away the paddle from it.
    In that case you are almost there with your sketch, you can do an extrude command with the intersect option, using the paddle sketch as the master.

But to be honest, for this it is far simpler and more true to how it would be done normally if you were to skip the square block and just extrude the original sketch.

It doesn't appear obvious at first because the entire shape is dark gray, which usually means that is the area to be extruded.
    but when you have another "closed area" within a larger closed area, it becomes "negative" which will not be extruded, hence the free hole.

• simon_dwyersimon_dwyer Member Posts: 8 EDU
    And so how do I make It curved and cut the hole tho'?

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I start with the circles, then create lines coincident to the circles, then use tangent to smooth them up.