Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Changing stl units after importing

tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
I found out today that the ability to change the units of a .stl file after import was removed. This is an important part of our workflow because we receive a ton of files from different sources and have no idea what units they were saved in. 

What are the chances that it gets added back with enough support? 

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    You can use the native "transfom scale" feature to resize STL files if needed I believe.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    You can use the native "transfom scale" feature to resize STL files if needed I believe.
    Owen S.
    True, but if we fat finger the value we could have problems with parts not fitting together. 
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The scale value could be entered as for example
    meter / inch

if you imported in inches and need it in meters to avoid the fat-fingering issue.

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    This was changed in the latest update. Thank you Onshape!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5022071/uploads/editor/uu/3wtsvpue4tfl.gif
  • glen_morrisglen_morris Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry I reviewed the suggestion posted by tyler_pope above and could not see the same feature to change the units of imported STL files on my desktop. Is this feature only available in a non-free version of OnShape? I am using a MacbookPro and I am attaching what I see when viewing the STL tab of the imported file. I checked and the iOS version of OnShape doesn't seem to have this feature, either.

Unfortunately, when I import an STL file from Tinkercad, it shows up 1000 times over scale.  I don't think it is a unit issue. For example, I created a one-inch cube in Tinkercad, and then when I export the STL of it and pull it into OnShape it becomes a 1000 inch cube.

I have tried creating a workaround by constructing a 0.001-inch cube in Tinkercad, but I was unable to export it for some reason.  I assume that such small objects are beyond what Tinkercad can work with.

So could someone point me to an alternate fix?
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    I am using the Pro version of Onshape and I get this window pop up on import, which does show a unit option

• GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Correction, this is only on import. I guess you would have to re-import the file