Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Imported Surface from Rhino, Heights

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
A surface that has been imported from Rhino, it doesn't show correct heights. 

The top plane here should be at the water surface. 

Isn't this information in the file?

D

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    Depends on how it was created in Rhino. Just use the transform tool to move it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    What needs to be done in Rhino to have this import correctly?

I have verified points on the surface in Rhino, that they are on the correct height. 

I don't want to have to move the surface once I import into Onshape. The whole point of a coordinate system is so that objects import where they are supposed to be and moving it after import can never be exact. 
  • Options
    For example, here are terrain contour splines

Are their heights not read when importing into Onshape?

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    edited June 2019
    Are you sure sea-level is at Z0 (zero)? Onshape would not arbitrarily add a transform when importing. Are the export and import in the same units? Can you post the rhino file?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    There are 2 sides of every translation: the guy who wrote it, the guy who reads it.

Never seen OS get it wrong, my money is on these guys.