Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Offsetting a complex shape

alex_4alex_4 Member Posts: 3
I'm building a map with a cut out state that needs to move up/down through the map. To create enough clearance between the movable element's edges and the fixed element, I'm trying to offset the edges inward. That works on simple shapes, but when I get to more complex ones, I get a "Can only offset a single chain at once" message. This seems to have something to do with selection order - if I drag-select an entire object, this pops up right away. If I select segment by segment, it works correctly on simpler ones, but not on more complex ones. What am I doing wrong? 

Sketch for reference: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/30636060fb5c8b857ad961f5/w/cddcf6b4c973a8494dd80be4/e/f4336f0ae7c0b8d777a7c864

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    alex_4alex_4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. "move face" did it, but it still seems to handle self-intersection poorly. I had to manually smooth borders out to be able to do all states, and even then I'm stuck at 0.2mm at the moment.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Does it help actually modifying the parts?  Can you just use them as tools to boolean subtract with an offset.

See the Boolean: Subtract section:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/booleanparts.htm
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com