Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D sketch possible?

SRA_ENGSRA_ENG Member Posts: 4
I suspect I cannot do a single 3D master 'General Assembly sketch, e.g. to set out all the important reference points that all the subassemblies' parts need to align to (or avoid), like external mounting bolts, pipes, ventilation slots or casing? 
Can I do an XZ sketch then a YZ sketch with the XZ showing on its plane for alignment purposes?  

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    No 3D sketch. Why does it have to be in one sketch? You can do everything you want to, but using multiple sketches and/or surfaces/solids.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • SRA_ENGSRA_ENG Member Posts: 4
    Tnx Neil. I am trying two ortho sketches now. I hope I can superimpose them on the part and assembly editors, as well as the sketches needed for the parts being actually worked on.  
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @SRA_ENG - Top down assembly design (including layout sketches) are covered in this webinar.
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/top-down-design-techniques-in-onshape

Philip Thomas - Onshape