Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Need help how to model this part

michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
Hello all, 

I have to redraw this old model of a shifter boot for a new manufacturing process and I just can figure out how it was modeled before and how to begin to model it new.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9264a7446ebc32f0a3f486ca/w/611841cb3bcefcddf7732348/e/75ae4918184800288fca15d4

The goal is to match the inner dimensions closely enough and to set up the model for variable thickness to allow flexibility with semi-rigid materials.

I believe the original model was done in Creo, but I am not sure as I only have a Step file.

Thank you for any help and modelling tips. I just can't seem to figure this one out.

Best Answers

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited June 2019
    Doesn't look overly-complicated - how accurate does it need to be? For example, the sides are not straight/parallel.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    It doesn't have to be point for point accurate. I am not sure of some of the design intent from the original model. I noticed that some things aren't symmetrical and don't seem to line up in a way that makes sense to me.

I can make the simple prismatic version of the part, but when it comes to all the fillets and rounds in odd places I am at a loss. There is also the base which is warped in a way that I can't figure out how to replicate it.

I feel like my modeling brain is blocked on this particular model and I need a gentle nudge in the right direction to begin it.
    @jakeramsley this is exactly the nudge I need! I'll try some of these ideas out later and see what solution I come up with.

I had also thought to surface model and thicken later, but achieving the various surfaces was the part I just couldn't wrap my brain around.

Thank you for the great help!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @michael_mcclain thanks for posting.  We all can benefit from the challenges.

@NeilCooke
    what a great approach!  mastery using the palette of Onshape tools.  I especially like the base sketch with mate connectors used for later sketches and the projected curve for bottom.  A lot to learn from this one!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @bruce_williams - after your very generous praise, I went back to marvel at my model only to notice that there was some dodgy faces at the bottom. Took a few goes to rectify the issue, but adds some more tricks to the model. Please use the latest version. Thanks!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Now make it bend...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @NeilCooke Thank you very much!

I went through your model and I have to say it is some great work. I see a few tricks I will have to incorporate into my workflow. I would have never thought of the projected curve for the sweep path. I forgot that tool existed.

This is exactly what I needed and I learned a few new things along the way. Onshape forum and support is the best!

P.s. @owen_sparks If you want to have a go and throw in some flexibility then be my guest. Might as well throw in the whole shifter and linkage while you are at it haha.
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    I went through each feature one by one and was amazed at the approach. Might have actually learned something but most was way over my head. Still very nice work Neil.