Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

naming convention in the tree of an assembly changes to part 1 <1>, Part1<2>...etc

Hello, Trying to understand why the naming convention in the tree of an assembly changes to part 1 <1>, Part1<2>...etc. after i've taken the time to name the parts such as, Cylinder body , coupler...
This affects my BOM
1. insert
2. insert named parts
3. renames parts in the tree in assembly to PART 1???.

my background is Solidworks.  so a lot of my issues im finding out is that Onshape seems to be more intuitive or for the most part is rather easy to use.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Phillip_BeveridgePhillip_Beveridge Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Neil,  I did not realize I am able to model multiple parts in one tab of a part studio.  if I understand correctly.  it don't have to be one tab per detail then?  yes that is what I did do I just named the part description in the tab because that's where I thought the names populated from.  Thank you.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    it don't have to be one tab per detail then? 
    Correct.
    You can have as many parts in a tab as you like. :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100