Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 8th, 2019

2»

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2019
    @john_mcclary I didn't trust you but as ever you were telling the truth...
    Red nuts?  Nope!
    Grrrr. 
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2019
    Ooops, didn't see the real @ilya_baran was in the house, I presumed John just edited the quote to make it looked like Ilya said that! :*
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Ooops, didn't see the real @ilya_baran was in the house, I presumed John just edited the quote to make it looked like Ilya said that! :*
    How evil do you think I am?  >:)
  • dangerenokdangerenok Member Posts: 4
    3dcad said:
    @dangerenok
    Remember to keep your sketches as simple as possible for best performance. Share things into separate sketches and use 'USE' to snap reference figures between sketches. This way you can hide/show needed sketches and have better control over your model.
    Thank you for answering a question I didn't ask. Regarding the division into separate sketches - it is not always possible to resort to this technique. For example, to find common layout solutions, such as a furniture layout plan to take into account ergonomics or filling the approved design of the model with internal nodes. onshape is a great tool for bottom-up design, but it's really bad for top-down design. Or I don't understand something. Let me remind you, I said that disabling bindings does not work when using the transform tool.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @dangerenok
    Another answer to question you didn't ask, Onshape is 3D mcad software. But the reason why I commented with tagging you in is that I create a lot of layout plans and design furniture for living using this amazing tool. You just need to remember it's not built for that and you shouldn't expect such. So as a tip, figure out a way to keep your sketches compact and simple and you will enjoy optimal performance using Onshape for blueprints, layouts, even landscapes or whatever.   
    //rami
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Wow, great set of updates guys! Love seeing all of these surfacing tools now! SWEET!!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a silly question...
    The next update will be 1.100 or 2.01?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @emagdalenaC2i - 1.100 - it's a big milestone!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is. But there is no party, I think.  :)
    Will any great improvement be added as a special gift?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    You'll have to wait and see - unfortunately the development team is not beholden to the marketing team :)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Maybe you should entice them with Pizza and Beer.
    Well, they are software developers, so Mountain Dew and Funyuns

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    When is the next update coming out?
    This Friday?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Calm down excited people - it will be ready when it's ready :)
    I have already got into trouble twice for trying to stuff extra stuff into this release - they are working hard to get it out.
    Just remember - sometimes a lot of work goes on in the background that you don't necessarily see as a 'new' functionality!
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - ok, that's pretty funny :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited July 2019
    Congratulations!!!

Un saludo,

^^^ Not yet Eduardo!!! Soon! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape