Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cutting channels in a cylinder

alex_gendernalikalex_gendernalik Member Posts: 8 EDU
edited July 2019 in Community Support
Hello Onshape community!

I've been doing quite well as a noob building a simple part... up until this point. Anyway, let's see if I can successfully explain this.

I'd like to cut channels into a cylinder. This is the housing of a night vision tube and the channels will hold threaded rod which in turn hold the whole thing together. I don't want the housing to be able to torque, hence the channels.

The channels will be along the inner surface of the cylinder and need to be < 3 mm deep (which is the diameter of the threaded rod). The rod and channels will run along the Z axis of the cylinder. They are spaced at 1/3 the perimeter.

I've included several pictures of both parts so far. One part is imported, hence the mesh (credit to David aka cj7hawk). The meshy part mates with the front end of the cylinder with the tabs facing inward and the tab with the circle cutout centered at the top. I don't know how to align and mate them. The meshy part already has holes cutout for the channels.

Basically, I think I need to first sketch another layer to my cylinder, extrude it, then somehow cut away the channels at 1/3 the perimeter.

If anyone is willing to help after that crappy description it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

See my file here!

Edit: Added a photo of the "skeleton" finished product from David: https://www.tiertime.com/dami/viewtopic.php?t=23495

My 3D printed part will fit over the threaded rods (I've already printed a draft and the fit is perfect).

Best Answer

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    i beleve you need a circular pattern of hole - it will distribute a given number of features evenly around a given axis

Answers

• alex_gendernalikalex_gendernalik Member Posts: 8 EDU
    I can just make a blind hole but how do I center and place the channels at 1/3 the perimeter? Should I just back-calculate and do it manually?
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    i beleve you need a circular pattern of hole - it will distribute a given number of features evenly around a given axis
    Hmm, thanks for the advice. I'm playing around with the circular pattern now but can't seem to get it to do what I want.
    I finally got it to work! I did a circular face pattern and for face I selected the existing channel I had already cut. For the axis I selected the inner face of my cylinder.

Now my only problem is the 3 channels are centered rather than offset 45 degrees.
    I just moved my initial channel cut to the bottom to get the pattern orientation right. Thanks for getting me over the hump Konstantin!