Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Specifying mass of part

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Using Onshape
I modeled part geometries approximately after part schematics and, despite knowing their materials (steel, aluminum), I can't trust their masses and inertial properties to be right.
I do know the actual masses the real parts would have and would like to specify them directly (so that density is back-computed from
Is this possible? I'm trying to simulate an assembly and mass properties are important there. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Mbartlet passes this along not to long ago to set position, mass, material and CofG with minimal steps. If you're looking for correct CofG then drawing sphere where the outline you have says it is then run FS to set specs of sphere.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ca261a95938af152088fca8
  • Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Glen! Will give this a try!