Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best way to design with assembly movement clearances?

nick_hanigannick_hanigan Member Posts: 10 PRO
I understand the Top Down design approach with multiple static parts in a Design Studio.  I have modelled a number of inter-related parts in one project, however I am wondering the best approach for modifying a part to allow the movement within the assembly.  A door's swing for example requires a specific clearance for the arc of the door.  In Creo, you would activate the part within the assembly and modify sometimes with references to the other parts.

I have not encountered the tutorial that shows a similar way forward in OnShape.  If one exists, would someone please point me in the right direction?  If not, what would you recommend as best practice?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Sounds like activate part is similar to in-context.

right click the door in the assembly in possition. select edit in-context.

It will take you back to the part studio with a transparent view of the assembly that you can dimension to.
  • Options
    Oh, super.  Thanks John.  NH.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited August 2019
    @nick_hanigan

I double click the part in the assembly from the feature tree. This is the fastest way to edit the part in the assembly. Onshape ghosts the assembly in the part. I really like it. I don't need to edit the part in the assembly, take the assembly to the part. Remember onshape is a collaborative environment and many people can be working on your door assembly at the same time.

I suspect a proper way to do a design is to have a layout, skeleton or some datum scheme. Then start designing. Your hinge center could possibly be a datum. Possibly the door's center.

Many times the layout will dictate the design intent and having datums allows a clear definition of what this thing will do. If the opening & door are tied to the layout center, then clearance is trivial. Most important, the next guy who works on your model will be able to see what's going on. Remember a designer who designs for the next guy is a great designer.

The art of setting up a project for success is often overlooked and people jump into shade & spin without controlling the top. So many projects become un-done and don't converge with time. Top level management helps keep the rope from becoming frayed.

Most skip this important step.

This is a really good question.

Please show us your schema and how you plan to keep people using it.

• Options
    Thank you Billy.  Thank you Bradley.  This is really helpful.  NH.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Please show your attempts, this is something that needs more discussion.

Thanks for posting....