Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I have multi line text in a drawing table cell?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
Other than copying and pasting it, can I place multi line text in a drawing table cell?

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Odd, it only appears to gain the ability to be multi line after the cell has been forced by pasting. And this state seems to clear back to default after removing all text from the cell.

I tried every tick / alt code, I could think of to insert a new line. but nothing short of pasting in multi line text seemed to do the trick.
    @lougallo can this be set to multi line with a simple alt+enter like in excel?
  • rob_rowlandrob_rowland Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Is there seriously no way to have multi-line text in cells, beyond copy-paste?     I just found this today (creating my first set of serious drawings in Onshape after moving from another CAD system), and it is annoying me immensely.   
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Not sure I follow the question here.
    I just put up a sample to see for myself and multi line text in table is working for me with out copy paste.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d06cf49129899ffd77125d4/w/c62cf62b48cf8c5ba47c94c4/e/4fb42149222eaffef756fc96
    Am I missing something that your trying to accomplish?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @glen_dewsbury -  multi-line works fine with text wrapping, however, if you want to insert a carriage return it doesn't work because the table is trying to move focus to the next cell. There should really be a key combination that allows this. Can @rob_rowland make an improvement request? (or bug? Probably best to go through "Contact Support" under the help menu)

In the meantime, I have found a hokey workaround:

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Neil. For those that would like formatted multi line text I'm sure a 'shift enter' would work nicely as I've seen in spread sheets and such.
  • rob_rowlandrob_rowland Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke  Your workaround is what I ended up doing.     It just ends up making the table look really messy when using centered text. 

The reason why I need this is to put the main thing I want the reader to see (ex: material type) at the top of the cell in large text, then additional information at the bottom of the cell in smaller text (ex: material QC standard).   Because the length of the text in each cell varies, it ends up not flowing over the same for each row.   

It's a small thing, but something that I got very used to on my previous CAD systems, and we had developed our drawing standards around this formatting.