Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawn Metal Cup with Vents

sean_hartsean_hart Member Posts: 3
I am attempting to draw vents on an aluminum can similar to the attached image.  The can itself is drawn aluminum, but from what I understand the best I can do in OnShape is use a regular Sheet Metal drawing of an incomplete cylinder (with a slit down the side to allow "unfolding").  Overlooking the inability to model drawn metal, manufacturers have described the vent itself as "stamped", but I am not seeing an effective way to model this in OnShape.  I have attempted bending and creating a tab, but both will not convert correctly.  Any ideas on how this should be modeled in OnShape?  Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    @sean_hart For this design, with it having compound formed features for the cylinder and the vents, it would be best to model this using non-sheet metal modeling techniques.  This would be the case in most CAD programs out there because of the stamped features on the rolled portion of the design.
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @sean_hart

If you step through the features list in this document, it will show you how to make vents

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/187e858549592a9f394110b2/w/44156a98c0a7d45f9a82882f/e/916f879d0ed191223b221c31
  • Options
    sean_hartsean_hart Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Mike and Steve, I actually had modeled the vents using a similar method but was worried that it would convey the wrong desired end result.  If that is industry standard, hopefully there will not be a model translation issue for manufacturing.  Thanks for both of your help!