Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean with offset does not work on complicated fillet surfaces

In this document there are two Boolean. The first leaves out the two surfaces that cause a failure. The second only has the two surfaces that cause the failure.

The offset of 0.015" is being used. Without the offset it works.

Initially I selected 0.015" offset all given that is the desired result.

Why doesn't this work?

Best Answers

• dana_kelley262dana_kelley262 Member Posts: 31
    Answer ✓
    Never mind............. missed selecting the small wedged faces in the move face

Answers

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @dana_kelley262

I don’t know why the boolean with offset failed.

But if you’re interested in a workaround,
    see the document below.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/68bc73df32d1e5351be70c4f/w/16f68abd9376f30ca3cdfd84/e/d7696fbbd6d958faf1c8209c
    Thanks for your feedback. Interesting solution. I've submitted a bug report to find out what the issue is before moving forward. 
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @dana_kelley262

I got it to work by using a single boolean — the way you wanted it to work

I used REPLACE FACE to eliminate the lines shown below. Then I was able to use a single boolean with offset on ALL THE FACES.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ae02264d7f77c75f8239e4a/w/b96aafb51f9cc03b34ab1898/e/7e3aa785b65a1369e2142982

I saw that the no offset worked but did not realize there was a second step that could be used to add the offset. So one would ask this question. Why not break it into two processes? No offset followed by adding the offset. A hack perhaps but it eliminates future head scratching and hides it from the users.

This solution worked just fine so Ill be moving on. :)
    It did not quite work after all.
    Answer ✓
    Never mind............. missed selecting the small wedged faces in the move face