Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating Selection Sets

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
When selecting entities for various tools like pattern or move face, there is a quick way to create these selection sets. Manually selecting each entity can take time, especially when the selection set contains scattered areas of interest (like holes on a plate).

In the context menu (RMB) there is a utility call Create selection... If you launch this you can do a number of automated selection types based on the method they were created as well as the ability to recognize patterns. This also works well for a number of features like:
  • Protrusions
  • Pockets
  • Holes
  • Fillets
  • Tangent faces
  • Connected faces

Take a look at this example. I am using circular pattern, until we can mirror features, but you get the idea.
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    How many of our Onshapers have used the 'Create selection' command?
    Is this useful to you?
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I used advanced selection sets a lot in spaceclaim, but not so much in onshape. This is my problem and I have to reprogram my thinking.