Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move context

fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in Community Support
Hi!
Is there a way to move/realign a context while editing a part in-context?
Thanks,
Frederic

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Could you could use a "transform copy in place" of the context and then a regular transform of the copy? 
    That should all stay parametric should you update the context.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Thanks, but it's not a context anymore: I have all new parts in my partstudio, and they are not translucent.

I think I have troubles with my contexts because I don't select the correct reference; what are best practices at this point? I always select the origin, which may not be a good idea...
    fma said:
    Thanks, but it's not a context anymore: I have all new parts in my partstudio, and they are not translucent.
    We may be talking at cross purposes.  Often I'll simplify my "translucent context" that has every part from the assembly into just the bits I want to build off by the copy method above.  That way I can see what I'm doing without having to constantly keep turning the context visibility on and off.

Sure you have new parts in the ICE PS, but they're just for reference, and in my mind they absolutely do represent the context.  I may have misunderstood your use case though :( Presumably you're editing the parts in the context not building new parts of their location?

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Yes, the parts where originally created using in-context...
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @fma

Depending on what you want, you can either update the context you are looking at, or create a new second context to model off of.  The steps involved would be to get the assembly into the new position that you want, and then create the new context or update the existing context from there.  Instructions are here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/in-context.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    My problem is that the assembly is in the correct position, but shifted in the context editing...
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    In that case can you not update the context or create a new one?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Updating the context does not change anything. If I create a new one, I have to re-do all previous references...
    I think we really need to see screen-shots of the problem / what you're trying to do, to offer any meaningful help.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @fma
    It sounds like the confusion might be caused by context in part studio being oriented differently from assembly. If the part you want to edit is inserted in the assembly transformed (e.g. flipped up side down), then the context in the part studio would appear transformed (flipped up side down in this case). That is because in the part studio everything is rendered in the coordinates of that part studio. 
    edited September 2019
    Unfortunately, I can't show you the problem anymore, as I changed my design. But as I said, my problem comes from the fact that I used the Origin as part origin for the in-context editing (when creating the new part from the assembly). I think this is not the correct whay to do: to fix my issue, I re-created an origin point attached to my in-context assembly: this way, the assembly does not move relative to the Origin, but rather this is my part which moves.

Can you confirm that using the Origin as part origin for in-context editing is not the correct way, and we should use an origin attached to the assembly?
    fma said:
    Unfortunately, I can't show you the problem anymore, as I changed my design.
    Did you save any versions?  Even if not you could look through the history and add a version point.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Yes, I will try to do that.