Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What are your suggestions for the best input-device (the mouse.)

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
Greetings

Looking at various articles such as the one below; however, you all have the answers already.  So what are the right-choices for my next mouse purchase for the Onshape environment.

thanks,
Robert

https://www.binarytides.com/best-mouse-for-autocad/
Tagged:

Comments

• mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited September 2019
    I use my macbook trackpad and I also happen to use the Logitech MX Master:  Fits nicely and has programmable buttons.  Here is a public sample model in Onshape courtesy of Vincent Haley (https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/how-does-onshape-handle-advanced-surface-modeling) as a bonus https://cad.onshape.com/documents/62a2b8ccb6f3e7efa83b1d8f/w/246c1dc73ec601479f8117d3/e/f5edde1deac4b2672b270477#_ga=2.104021440.1339474949.1568032752-2026751144.1565010278
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited September 2019
    I've had an MX Master for a few years now, definitely recommend it

Image result for mx master
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited September 2019
    Logitech MX Master hands down. Their controller app is great for setting up program-specific macros for each of the 6 or so buttons. And it's a rechargeable battery.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I am laughing - here is another employee endorsing the MX (we can use anything we want and three technical users all chose the same mouse) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited September 2019
    Logitech G600 + any 3Dconnexion space mouse (whichever you can afford)

G600 is similar to MX above but it has 12 thumb buttons and two middle finger buttons. all can be programmed with (2) configurations based on holding the far right button down (kind of like holding shift)
    This way you can get (28) unique functions on your mouse.
    If you REALLY wanna get technical, there are 3 modes you can switch to on the fly: Rainbow/White/Green
    Rainbow and White offer the right shift button while green does not (For some reason)
    So, if your really insane you can program (70) unique functions on they fly.
    On top of that, you can set it for each program running in the foreground. Giving you flexibility from program to program.

Can be intimidating at first, but it is worth the learning curve. (Esspecially if your like me and like to work with just one hand, while resting your chin on your other hand).

I have been using the G600 and the razor naga (Dont buy a naga! Piece of crap with no where near the versatility compared to G600) exclusively since it came out 10 years ago. Never been happier, never felt so handicap when I use anything else after that!

The price has come down a few times. They used to be $90, now they are like $40 USD.
    Even if you don't get the 3D space mouse, the G600 is a must.

If you get the G600, then all the buttons on the higher grade 3Dconnexion mice are meaningless. So just get the basic one:

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thumbs up for the Logitech G602 from over here. 

They spread throughout the office as soon as one chap had one...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited September 2019
    Looks like there is a new one on the way as the MX master seems half its original price.

Amazon states "Logitech MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless Mouse" due on the 25th Sept.

HWM-Water Ltd
    edited September 2019
    Furthermore, when it comes to the 3Dconnexion, the drivers suck, so they lose custom functions often enough where I just quit programming them. 

Also, I have the pro wireless, (mid tier) and i find all the side buttons and top buttons hard to reach. I basically can't reach the top row without lifting my palm off the knob and looking at my hand (otherwise I accidentally move the model..) Which defeats the purpose. Although I have small hands, it just isn't ergonomic at all IMHO.

Iike the "normal view planes" buttons on the right side of the knob tho... makes getting to a top view (ect.) easy.

• robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Wow, much to consider; however, I do appreciate the suggestions.  One of these will certainly do, thanks.
  • TJ5267TJ5267 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I use a Evoluent vertical mouse.  It is a 5-button mouse with a click scroll wheel.  There is also a button to change the mouse/courser speed between four speeds.  Helps with precision vs. productivity.  The best think I like about mouse it is a more ergonomic position for the wrist.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a curve-ball: why not use a steam controller? Some have tried them with Solidworks with some success. Lots of configurable buttons, two track pads (like a laptop has) and gyroscope controls for panning/rotation. 

I haven't tried it, but looks like it could be a fun experiment!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Magic Mouse

billy2 said:
    Magic Mouse

Looks like a bar of soap... For ignoramuses like myself what does it do?
    Thanks, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It's an apple product for macbooks. It's my favorite input device.

The top is a track pad & supports multi-gestures.

Most of the time, I just use the macbook track pad. Why carry a mouse around? 

owen_sparks said:
    Looks like a bar of soap... For ignoramuses like myself what does it do?
    Thanks, Owen S.
    Nothing more than a standard mouse. But it's apple, so it pretends to be better than everyone else by looking better than it functions.

They gave a traditional mouse a multi touch top surface. (To pretend they are still a 1 button mouse like the mac has always been) when in fact it's just a fancy microsoft mouse that is less comfortable to use.

surely he jests. Or he is suggesting it really doesn't matter what mouse. Which is true, but the topic is best mouse for cad.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Alright - my curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a Steam Controller.  There's so many configuration possibilities, that I'm still playing around trying to find the best setup, but I wanted to share my thoughts here. 
    • Setup was easy. You just need to install Steam and connect the controller, then everything starts working. You use the Steam software to configure the controller. I think there's a way to set up a custom profile for specific applications, but I haven't bothered with that. I just have one "desktop" configuration that I'm tweaking for Onshape.
    • The configuration process is a little confusing because there are lots of settings that don't provide any explanation as to what they do. So, lots of trial and error there. 
    • The real differentiation between this controller and others are the gyros and two click-able trackpads (similar to a laptop trackpad). All of these can be set up for "mouse" control. Also, the gyro function can be turned on/off with the click of another button (so that its not always on).
    • My current setup: when I hold the left grip button, a "RMB" is sent and the gyro starts controlling the cursor, which allows me to rotate the model by rotating the controller. While I'm doing this, I can also use the right-side trackpad to pan the model and the left-side trackpad does up/down scrolling to allow me to zoom in and out. So... with a little practice, I can rotate, zoom, and pan at the same time.
    • When I stop squeezing the left grip button, the right-side trackpad goes back to controlling the cursor position so that I can move the pointer around and click on things. 
    • All the other buttons can be linked any keyboard/mouse-button press you want, so there's lots of options there for setup however you like. 
    Now, a question - I appears that one major drawback compared to the 3Dconnexion devices is that I still can't move the model and the cursor independently because the gryo movements are emulating mouse click+drag. How does 3Dconnexion do that? Do their drivers somehow create two mouse signals simultaneously? 
    I'm not sure what the 3dconnexion is doing in the background. but as far as controllers go. That sounds like a cool setup.

I tried this on my oculus rift. It was fun, but a little challenging to be precise. You basically point with your finger like your on a giant touchscreen. Made my arms tired pretty quick. Also you can have all your tabs as separate monitors in 3d space. Again it was fun but clunky.

Keep us posted on the steam controller. It sounds intereseting
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    3dconnexion has a direct integration into our program.  Both companies have written code on both sides to facilitate a proprietary API between their hardware and our web app.  So basically, they call us directly with view events and there is no mouse involved.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    All I know is the defaut settings work better (smoother) in Onshape than SW. 

Just wish I could program the buttons for more than a week
    edited September 2022

G600 is similar to MX above but it has 12 thumb buttons and two middle finger buttons. all can be programmed with (2) configurations based on holding the far right button down (kind of like holding shift)
    If you REALLY wanna get technical, there are 3 modes you can switch to on the fly: Rainbow/White/Green
    Rainbow and White offer the right shift button while green does not (For some reason)
    On top of that, you can set it for each program running in the foreground. Giving you flexibility from program to program.

Can be intimidating at first, but it is worth the learning curve. (Esspecially if your like me and like to work with just one hand, while resting your chin on your other hand).

I have been using the G600 and the razor naga (Dont buy a naga! Piece of crap with no where near the versatility compared to G600) exclusively since it came out 10 years ago. Never been happier, never felt so handicap when I use anything else after that!

The price has come down a few times. They used to be $90, now they are like $40 USD.

If you get the G600, then all the buttons on the higher grade 3Dconnexion mice are meaningless. So just get the basic one:

Follow up:
    I've recently added the G600 Profile to the GHUB community, so, you can download the profile directly
    Go to Community in GHUB and search AEINC

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I was using a Logitech MX Master 3 until recently. They came out with the MX Master 3S, which is basically the same, except they made the main buttons MUCH more quiet, while still providing very good tactile feedback and feel. They were so loud on the MX 3, that I got constant complaints from my (WFH) office mate.
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited September 2022
    I use the 3DConnexion CAD Mouse Pro Wireless with the Spacemouse Enterprise.

The CADMouse works best for me, you got some programmable buttons. Works perfectly with onshape. If you install the driver you can customise the buttons with direct features from Onshape. Also one button can have one function in a part studio and an other function in an assembly.
    The same goes with the spacemouse. You got a ton of programmable buttons and they also can have different functions in drawings/partstudios/assemblys.

I used the MX Master before. Worked also very well. But since I have the setup from 3dConnexion I wont use any other again. Works perfect for me.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited September 2022
    You get a Nice kit if you would buy both: https://3dconnexion.com/de/product/spacemouse-enterprise-kit-2/

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • samuel_paraschivusamuel_paraschivu Member Posts: 2

Hej John,  I took your advice and just bought the G600. I'm totally new to any kind of Autocad... so I'm learning everything bottom up. I'd love to know the shortcuts you use on your G600. Than it would be easy for me to set it up and just learn it that way. I would really love the help! Best regards,  Sam