Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't extrude (remove) through a thickened surface and have no idea why, really frustrating.

saleem_shaikhsaleem_shaikh Member Posts: 2
Hi all, 

I've got a section that I have created by using 2 lines that I have then thickened. I have then attempted to remove a semi-circular portion by using the extrude (remove) feature but for some reason I can't seem to get through, I have this really frustrating bit that is left and I can't understand why. Any ideas? I've tried searching for answers but it's more confusing than helpful as there doesn't seem to be any reason why this is the case. 

See attached screenshot. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

p.s. is there a ruler/grid function for sketches so you can draw/snap 2d objects to set dimensions.

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @saleem_shaikh
    The grey portion that is left seems to be the surface that you thickened to create the part.
    You can either hide it by hovering over it and pressing 'y', or you can delete it using the Delete Part feature
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @saleem_shaikh - to expand a little bit on the previous comment, it looks like you created a surface, then thickened the surface to create a solid body. What likely happened is that the surface you created still exists, and is what you're seeing inside the hole you made.

If you look at the part list in your part studio, you should also see a list of surfaces that you can expand. If you have a surface, you can delete or hide it. 

Also - Onshape does not have a grid or ruler for sketching, but it's something that others have discussed elsewhere on this forum (with pros/cons to using a grid). The standard process is to generally lay out the sketch elements, apply constraints as needed, then apply dimensions as needed to fully define all the parameters in the sketch. 

Welcome to the forums!
  • saleem_shaikhsaleem_shaikh Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to all the respondents. I did manage to discover that it was a surface after a bit more time, apologies. Apart from the ruler/grid functionality, I think the rest of the platform works very well. 

Thanks again.