Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moving Mate Connectors from a Part Studio to an Assembly

fletcher_porterfletcher_porter Member Posts: 14
In a project that I'm working on I've found that some mate connectors I have defined in a part studio would be better suited to being in an assembly since they're only ever used when mating with the assembly, never with the individual parts.  Is there a way to move these mate connectors to the assembly scope without breaking any mates in other assemblies?

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in OS you don't mate the assemblies, the mates are always between mate connectors of the bodies and MC's can't exist without them, so I don't think you should care about where they are defined
  • Options
    fletcher_porterfletcher_porter Member Posts: 14
    The reason I care where they're defined is that it hides the mate connectors that are used by the assembly in the dropdown for the part, so in a higher-level assembly, to find one of these mate connectors I have to go to MyAssembly>RelevantPart>MateConnector in the design tree, but I think it would be more obvious for someone who wasn't familiar with my system to be able to go MyAssembly>Mate Features>MateConnector.  
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    :+1: for leaving them in the partstudio from over here.  They're then present whenever you instance the part in any future assemblies and in my mind the intent is clearer by seeing the isolated PS without all the other assembly in the way. 

Easy to show/hide with "K" key so I don't mind having unused connectors in an assembly.  So if I have say a plate with 4 holes in it, in the partstudio I'll add connectors for each hole with sensible names, and then have whichever mate I care to use in the assembly already defined.  The mate then calls a mate connector with a human readable description so the assembly is still easy to digest.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd