Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Plane tangent to cylindrical surface

charles_eastercharles_easter Member Posts: 1
In SW I often create a plane tangent to a cylindrical surface in order to cut keyways or pockest etc. Doing it this way maintains the depth irrespective of any changes to the cylindrical diameter. Any ideas how this can be done with OnShape?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Only way I can see is with a sketch perpendicular to the cylinder. In the sketch draw a line from the centre of the cylinder to the surface, constrain ends to the cylinder surface and the centre, set angle as desired. Then use the line point plane. image
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    thomas_5thomas_5 Member Posts: 5
    That technique can be very effective if you include dimensional controls on the sketch. It's one I frequently use even when I have a tangent/parallel solution. That way I don't have to construct a plane to be parallel (or normal to) or be locked in alignment to an origin plane.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    @thomas_5: by "dimensional controls on the sketch", do you mean control of the angle of the line? 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2015
    Just a few more tips. To control the angle of the line delete the default horizontal constraint (tick the show constraints check box to view all constraints or just hover over the line to awaken constraints then find the one you want to delete) when the line turns blue it should be free to rotate. In Onshape you can reference dimensions to planes so by turning the right plane on I can add an angle dimension off this. image
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.