Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Text around a curve

DantechDantech Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I've been trying to find a solution to this but still can't figure how to do it. I've clicked on the Parametrics link, but I have no idea how to use it. 
Can someone explain to me how to do this IN LAYMAN TERMS. I am not a CAD Guru!
I just want to write text along a curved line.
Thanks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
  • DantechDantech Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I did last week, but I have no clue as to how to use it. Is there a tutorial video somewhere? 
    Thanks
    I just tried to figure that "surface text" again but I'm totally confused as to how you use the darn thing. Do Import the program into MY OnShape? Do I need to import my drawing INTO the surface text program? 
    Totally lost and frustrated !!!! I appreciate the effort that goes into making these programs, but I sure wish they would show us how to use it.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Open the link above and press this button to add it to your toolbar....

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    The usage is in the PDF on in that document (see image below)

but for curve text it should be as easy as drawing a curve

And entering your text in the input area,
    Then play with all the parameters until you get what you want.

If you have a link to a document showing your text not working. Link that here and we can point you in the right direction 

Thank-you ! I was able to open it up from the link above.
    Another dumb question ! Do I need to click that link every time I want to draw curved text, or can I access this program right from my OnShape that is registered under my name? I tried opening up OnShape with my user name, but the "ST" link is not there.
    Thanks
    The only way you can use the feature is to add it to your toolbar first, under your user name
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Follow my instructions above to add it to your toolbar (sign-in first)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited October 2019
    OK, I was able to sign in and I'm trying to get it to work. I drew an ellipse around 8" wide, and trying to write text along the curve. How do I reduce the size of the text so it doesn't look like the uploaded picture? I sure hope someone makes a video for some of us that are trying to teach ourselves CAD.
    Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb questions. I'm used to working on machines, not computers. :-)
    test.jpg 290.7K
    OK, I was able to figure out how to resize the height of the text. My next issue; How do I move the text to the left so that I can locate it in the blue rectangle?
    I'm not totally familiar with the feature, 
    I would try trimming the elipse to be the length you want the text.

You can do that by pressing the 'm' key to select the trim tool. Then select the part of the arc outside your box. It will delete the part of the arc between two intersecting lines. (Within the same sketch)
    Thanks for the help,Guys! I think I finally got it figured out. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction to learn the basics. Getting old sucks and getting more difficult to learn these new things.
    Dan
  • Mark_WrathallMark_Wrathall Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I am signed in, I clicked on the Beta link, and did the "Add custom feature" as decribed above, but the ST icon doesn't appear in my toolbar. Tried closing and loading Onshape, but it still doesn't appear.