Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Difficulty with lofts and curves - I'm missing something basic I know

Afternoon,

Coming from Freecad (clunky) to OnShape (intuitive) has been a good transition, however, I'm having some difficult: probably because I am missing something basic and therefore making life hard for myself. 

I'm a hobbyist trying - In this document - to model a Japanese tram so I can 3d print it in parts for a model railway (it's a "portram / centram" - the images in the document give a guide as to the shape).

In order to tackle the job of the front of the tram, I've watched the 1hr curves curves curves webinar.

I think I want to loft the "face" of the tram, and guide the loft with curves / splines projected from horizontal and vertical views to get the profile correct. I had some success with getting a nice projected curve, but decided to replace a line with a spline on my bottom (horizontal) profile, and it's all gone wrong from there. 

I seem to be unable to project a curve from a composite curve (a sketch is required), and if I select the edges of a sketch, there is an error and my projected curve doesn't work. As an aside, I'd also like the sketches to be joined in the corner where they intersect. I cannot select one sketch from the other (as I can in Freecad), nor do construction lines seem to help.

Does anyone know what I am missing? Particularly:

- Have I done anything obviously wrong in the (messy) sketch so far, which is not right;
- Does making the sketches coincident at a corner assist, and if so how do I do that; and
- Is trying to use projected curves making my life difficult? Am I better off controlling the loft with splines, or bridging curves.; or perhaps creating a primitive and using fillets to get my curves?

Steve

Best Answers

Answers

• stephen_allenstephen_allen Member Posts: 19
    Thanks @romeograham, I think I vaguely understand what you did. In any event surfaces are fun to play with. I've even managed to add super-cool tram-headlights using offset surfaces...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c472b02c84a2d770d34699ba/w/54fd2797d1416ce686bba9d2/e/1c247e40ce227beeabce459a

There are two things I now need to do which I can't fathom:

(1) create a window frame (like I have on the sides) for the front window - I've already got some indentation with thicken - I'm used to boolean operations with primitives - can I make a surface which is smaller all the way round, then subtract it from the window surface, leaving a frame?

(2) hollow part 4 into a shell - I don't want to 3d print a solid, just a shell.