Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotate a MC along two axes

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Community Support

Since OS 1.93 (20190301) it is possible to use an implicite Mate Connector as sketch plane. In https://cad.onshape.com/documents/715412c9c1163434269387b8/w/ef89d03cbf95f0bdc274f57a/e/df70441e6400d5047759127f I needed to tilt that sketch plane in two directions. However, as far as I know, a Mate Connector can only be rotated in one direction. So, to get the two angles I used some extra features (see comment in example). Before I make an IR for the rotation of a MC along 2 axes instead of one: is this already possible and did I missed this?

Edit: After the discussion below I added an IR: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12686/edit-mc-rotation-along-2-or-better-3-axis/p1?new=1. You can vote for that.
Henk de Vlaam (NL)
Tagged:

Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think it is possible with standard MC feature. I could add consecutive multidimensional positioning into MultiMateConnector feature with array input type. Will it be suiting if you could select linear incerements of dx,dy, dz and angular increments of rotX, rotY and rotZ in the local coordinate system of current MC position on each step? One would want to define transforms in custom direction and around custom axis but there are no way to have conditional input type selection within array input.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    [...] I could add consecutive multidimensional positioning into MultiMateConnector feature with array input type. Will it be suiting if you could select linear incerements of dx,dy, dz and angular increments of rotX, rotY and rotZ in the local coordinate system of current MC position on each step? [...]
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov,
    Yep, I think that will do the job.
    You are talking about a Custom Feature isn't it? I cannot find that feature in Public. Does that mean that you have to create it?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    I published it in featurescript community spotlight thread on the forum. Here is the link to the document:

You can check V2 of the feature above, all increments work in the current local coordinate system of MC
    [...] but there are no way to have conditional input type selection within array input.
    Thank you very much. That’s what I need. What a luxury when one masters Feature Script :)  

I used/tried V2 already instead of all the extra features and it works fine. See the feature folder CoG Point + MMC in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/715412c9c1163434269387b8/w/ef89d03cbf95f0bdc274f57a/e/df70441e6400d5047759127f

About the ‘conditional input type selection’: Do you mean that the array values are not usable as a configuration variable? I tried that with no success.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    edited December 2019
    Henk_de_V said:
    About the ‘conditional input type selection’: Do you mean that the array values are not usable as a configuration variable? I tried that with no success.
    Array input doesn't work with conditional interface constructions. For example the best would be to to define only one increment input field on each step, the increment name you would select from a drop down list and then a corresponding input field would appear. It would allow to have custom direction transform and cusctom axis rotation options without cluttering main interface with whole 6 or more input fields from which you actually need just a few. But it just doesn't work in list input, as well as configuring.
    The solution for configuring is to define a variable first, configure it and then use it in any input field.
    [...] The solution for configuring is to define a variable first, configure it and then use it in any input field.
    That was the trick, see the example above. Thank you, 

Henk de Vlaam (NL)